Briana E. Whetstone / Attorney
Briana Whetstone joined McCranie Sistrunk Anzelmo Hardy McDaniel & Welch in 2019. Before joining the firm, she focused her practice on medical malpractice as both plaintiff and defense, professional malpractice, personal injury, entertainment law, and intellectual property law. She has experience handling all aspects of claims from pre-litigation through settlement, mediation, and/or trial as well as drafting and negotiating contracts and filing Copyright and Trademark registrations. Briana brings over a decade of entertainment and intellectual property experience to her practice. Before joining the practice of law, she worked LucasArts in San Francisco in Business Affairs where she handled Copyright applications, drafted contracts, managed international trademarks, and drafted the Lucas Companies’ social media policy. Briana has continued to develop an entertainment and intellectual property law practice that had helped numerous musicians, artists, writers, chefs, and filmmakers. She is licensed to practice in all Louisiana state courts and has been admitted to the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Louisiana.
Briana graduated magna cum laude from Tulane Law School. While in law school, she focused on civil law, entertainment law, and intellectual property law. She served as an Honor Board Representative for three years, was a member of Tulane Inn of Court, and was the President of the Entertainment & Arts Law Society. During school, Briana clerked for Provosty & Gankendorff, a local entertainment law firm, and handled several complex matters for some of New Orleans’ biggest musical acts as well as insurance defense, antitrust, employment, and privacy matters.
Briana graduated from Tulane University, cum laude with Departmental Honors in English and Film Studies in 2008.
- Tulane University Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013)
- Tulane University (B.A. in English and Film Studies, cum laude, 2008).
- General Liability
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Defense
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Trademark & Copyright
- Entertainment Law
- Media & Privacy Law
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- “Social Media and Copyright Law: The Case Study of Pinterest” (invited paper, co-authored with Prof. Elizabeth Townsend-Gard, Mississippi College of Law, 31 Miss. C.L. Rev. 249)
- “Orphan Works Reply Comment to the U.S. Copyright Office Notice of Inquiry (dated October 22, 2012)” Managing Editor and co-writer
- Invited Guest Lecturer on Trademark Law at Tulane University Law School, 2019
- Invited Guest Lecturer on Trademark Law at Dillard University, 2018
- Invited Speaker on Copyright and Music Publishing for the Lafayette Music Exchange at Festival International, 2019
- Louisiana Center for Children’s Rights, Celebration Host Committee, 2017 – Present
- The ELLA Project
- Krewe Bohème, Board of Directors, 2018 – Present
- Co-Producer of a “Copyright and Contracts Workshop” series for New Orleans’ creative community, previous sponsors include the New Orleans Public Library, NOVAC, Tulane University & NOLATech Week, the Copyright Alliance, the ELLA Project, the Joan Mitchell Center, and Emerging Philanthropists of New Orleans