Katherine L. Swartout / Attorney
Katherine Swartout joined McCranie Sistrunk Anzelmo Hardy McDaniel & Welch in 2018. Prior to joining the firm, she worked for a national insurance coverage and defense firm focusing her practice on matters involving interstate carrier defense, maritime law, commercial litigation, construction defect, professional liability and workers’ compensation, handling all aspects of claims from pre-litigation through settlement, jury trial, and/or appeal. Although early in her legal career, Katherine brings over a decade of maritime industry experience and business acumen to her practice. Prior to joining the practice of law, she worked closely with carriers, shippers, terminals and government authorities on contract negotiations, labor issues, and international logistics, compliance, and documentation.
Katherine earned her law degree from Tulane University, graduating cum laude with a Maritime Law Certificate in 2015. While in law school, she received the M. Dreux Van Horn, Lucille Kinney Van Horn and Marian Dreux Van Horn II Scholarship, Honors in Trial Advocacy, and was awarded membership into the Order of the Barristers for her oral advocacy. Katherine was heavily involved in Tulane’s Moot Court program, earning Moot Court Coach of the Year and bringing home numerous national and international mediation and negotiation awards with her Alternative Dispute Resolution Team. Additionally, Katherine served as a student practitioner in Tulane’s Domestic Violence Clinic. She graduated magna cum laude with a dual degree in Mathematics and Psychology from Wake Forest University in 2007.
- Tulane University Law School (J.D., Maritime Law Certificate, cum laude, 2015)
- Wake Forest University (Dual B.A. in Mathematics and Psychology, magna cum laude, 2007)
- Admiralty & Maritime Practice
- Appellate Practice
- Commercial / Construction Litigation & Arbitration
- General Liability
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Defense
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Trucking & Transportation Industry Defense
- Effectively reduced client’s liability over 27 million dollars in jury trial on claims of negligent entrustment against an employer in Bossier Parish.
- Reduced client’s liability over 1 million dollars by defeating allegations of causal relationship between claimants injury and subsequent rheumatoid arthritis in bench trial and subsequent appeal in Terrebonne Parish.
- Obtained full dismissal of claims for outrage, fraudulent misrepresentation, fraudulent suppression, intentional interference with a business relationship, and breach of fiduciary duty by motion for summary judgment in workers’ compensation based case in Alabama.
- Assisted trial team in obtaining a full defense verdict in jury trial of professional liability suit against psychologist in Lafayette Parish.
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association, YLS Bar Ambassador and Co-Chair of Multiple Fundraising/CLE events
- Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association
- The Mariners Club of the Port of New Orleans
- Behind the Scenes w/ Law Clerks; New Orleans Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section: Procrastinators Cont. Legal Educ. Program, New Orleans, LA, December 14, 2016.
- Strategies for Defending Against Traumatic Brain Injury Cases; National Webinar, January 2017
- Billing, Costs, and Fees; New Orleans Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section: Procrastinators Cont. Legal Educ. Program, New Orleans, LA, December 13, 2017.
- New Orleans Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, 2018-Present